); ga('send', 'pageview');
As valuable as it is to have access to a supply of apprentices, it is fantastic to have a partner for improving the skills of our wider staff base. Working with Digital Skills Solutions has been one of our most fruitful partnerships in our 14 years as a growing company, and we are excited to develop that further.
David Schluter
MD, Fluid IT

Levy support: understanding the levy

Apprenticeships

An apprenticeship is a genuine job with an accompanying assessment and skills development programme. Apprenticeships salaries cannot go under the minimum wage (£3.90/hour). Apprentices are entitled to the apprentice rate if they’re either aged under 19 or aged 19 or over and in the first year of their apprenticeship. 20% of their time is to be spent in off-the-job training.

The levy

Designed by the government to increase employers' investment in apprenticeships and workforce development. Introduced in April 2017.

Scope

Less than 2% of UK employers: businesses with an annual payroll of £3,000,000 up (public and private sector). If you don’t fall into this category, you can still take advantage of the levy by using the levy transfer.

Procedure

The levy is set at a rate of 0.5% (with a £15K allowance) of the total payroll, and it's collected monthly by PAYE. The government applies a 10% top-up.

Usage

The money on your levy pot can only go towards the training and assessment of the apprenticeship. It cannot be spent on associated costs such as wages.

Use it or lose it

Use it or lose it. If employers do not spend their levy funds after 24 months, they will be ‘lost’, and made more widely available to other companies engaged with apprenticeships.

The levy transfer

Levy-paying organisations can transfer up to 25% of their annual levy fund to any other employer, including both levy-paying and non-levy organisations. 

If you haven't spent the levy, it will expire after 24 months

This is an opportunity to productively utilise the funds to identify future skills gaps support wider regional workforce skills and development needs engage with employers in your supply chain.

Limitations

Payments can't be stopped once the apprenticeship has been approved on the apprenticeship service (unless the apprenticeship stops).

Finding a receiver

Get in touch with employers in your industry, in your supply chain, or look within regional partners. Or work with DSS and we can make it happen.

Increase business productivity, develop your existing workforce, and attract new talent

Training for the apprenticeship will be paid in full. Get help, advice and support from the transferring employer. Allow non-levy payers access to all training providers on RoATP.

Limitations

The apprentice, standard, start/end date and training provider needs to be identified in advance as the transfer must relate to a specific apprentice.

Considerations

You need to have an account on the apprenticeship service. You need to sign an agreement. If the apprenticeship stops, then funding stops. If the levy sender runs out of account funds, you will be asked to make a 10% contribution. The government will pay the remaining 90%. 10% of all transfer funds received count as state aid. Transfers can be used only for new starts and to pay for training and assessments and are managed through the apprenticeship service.

DSS match-making service

DSS offers a free match-making service to broker levy opportunities.
If you are interested in transferring your levy funds or receiving levy, contact DSS at [email protected]

Fully managed service

The vacancy

Promote the role through DSS number of sourcing tools.

1st stage - screening

Telephone screening. Eligibility check. PLR.

2nd stage – recruitment day

If successful in stage 1: programme overview, expectations, candidates presentation, maths & English tests.

3rd stage - 121 interview

One to one interview on suitability and career desire with the learner recruitment team.

Employer interview process

The employer receives the profiles of 3 candidates per role 24 hours before the interview. 45-minute interviews take place. Feedback and offer.

> Coming soon 

Professional/trade exams

Bespoke training

Consultancy services

Portfolio executive

TOP